Alert for Grant Recipients Planning to Send/Return Funds to the Council
Recently, the Canada Council for the Arts became aware that someone used a fake email address, which resembles a Council employee’s work email address, to contact several grant recipients and try to obtain sensitive material like banking information or to redirect grant repayments. At this point, we are aware of only three recipients who have been contacted in this way.
What is the Council doing about this?
As soon as the Canada Council became aware of this fraudulent activity, we retained independent forensic experts to investigate what occurred and to assess the extent of the problem. As we learn more about the situation, we will contact any other recipients we believe may have been affected.
What should I do if I suspect an email from the Canada Council for the Arts is fake?
Please contact us immediately at email@example.com or 1-800-263-5588 ext. 5060.
You should also report any suspicious activity to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre by telephone at 1-888-495-8501, or through their Fraud Reporting System.
How can I protect myself?
You should be cautious with emails, texts, or phone calls that request the transfer of funds, especially wire transfers. You should call to validate the authenticity of such requests.
When interacting with the Canada Council for the Arts, remember this important information:
- The Council will never ask you for personal or banking information via email.
- Never reveal your username, password or authentication question to anyone.
- All emails from the Council end with the domain name “@canadacouncil.ca” or “@conseildesarts.ca.”
- As a grant recipient, you can change your banking information in your portal account. If you are unable to do this through the portal, you must speak with the program officer listed in your results letter. The program officer will ask security questions to confirm your identity.
- If you need to return funds,
- phone the officer listed in your results letter, and
- mail us a cheque, with your file number indicated on it and made out to the Canada Council for the Arts, to our address: P.O. Box 1047, Ottawa, Ontario, K1P 5V8.
Learn more about how we protect your personal information.