Trade of Culture and Sport Products (TCSP)
The Trade of Culture and Sport Products (TCSP) are timely estimates of the international and inter-provincial trade of culture and sport goods and services made possible through a joint initiative of Statistics Canada and a number of partners, including the Canada Council for the Arts, Canadian Heritage, and others.
The TSCP is an extension of the Culture Satellite Account (CSA), an accounting framework developed to measure the economic importance of culture (including arts and heritage), and sport to the Canadian economy.
Data are extracted from administrative files and derived from other Statistics Canada surveys and other sources.
Key highlights from the Trade of Culture and Sports Products, 2021, released in October 2023 include:
- Canada exported $18.3 billion of culture products in 2021, up 7.8% from the previous year.
- The rise was led by increased exports in the domains of visual and applied art, audio-visual and interactive media, and written and published works. Crafts, broadcasting, and film and video accounted for almost three-quarters of the total culture exports in 2021.
- Culture imports increased 7.0%, reaching $23.0 billion in 2021, led by visual and applied arts, and audio-visual products. At the subdomain level, craft and broadcasting drove imports of culture products in 2021.
- The United States has remained Canada’s largest trading partner for culture products, representing 72.8% of exports and 64.9% of imports, in 2021.
- The second most notable trading partner was the European Union, with 10.2% of exports and 10.9% of imports.
International Trade of Culture Products1 for 2013-2021
Image of a map of Canada with an arrow pointing in towards the map (representing culture imports) and an arrow pointing outwards from the map (representing culture exports).
|Year||Total culture imports (culture product)|
Canada imported the most culture products from the United States, China United Kingdom.
|Country||Culture imports in 2021|
|United States||$14.91 billion|
|United Kingdom||$0.56 billion|
The Crafts, Broadcasting, and Books sub-domains contributed the most to culture imports.
|Subdomain||Culture imports in 2021|
|Film and video||$1.63 billion|
In 2021, exports of Canadian culture products totaled $18.28 billion.2
|Year||Total culture exports (culture product)|
Canada exported the most culture products to United States, United Kingdom and Germany.
|Country||Culture exports in 2021|
|United States||$13.30 billion|
|United Kingdom||$0.49 billion|
The Crafts, Film and video and Interactive Media sub-domains contributed the most to culture exports.
|Subdomain||Culture exports in 2021|
|Film and video||$4.51 billion|
|Interactive Media||$1.42 billion|
Please contact the Research, Measurement and Data Analytics Section at email@example.com.