Explore and Create
The Artist-Driven Organizations component of Explore and Create supports the development of artistic activities, from research, creation, and production through to dissemination, by Canadian arts organizations that are driven by the vision of artistic leaders. Grants fund the activities of organizations mandated to support the creative process of artists, stimulating the emergence of new artistic voices and offering a range of artistic experiences to the public.
Most core grant applications must be translated into French or English. Please see guidelines for details and the translation deadline date.
Activities - what you can apply for
You can apply for a contribution towards:
- artistic development
- creative research
Who can apply
Types of potential applicants to this component include:
- artistic organizations
Your eligibility to apply to this component is determined by the validated profile created in the portal and a conversation you have had with a Program Officer.
To be eligible, your organization must create, produce, present or exhibit the work of artists and be driven by the vision and voice of an artistic leader or group of artists. Your organization must support the development and dissemination of works by Canadian artists and meet the following basic administrative, programming and financial criteria:
- presently receive core (operating) support through one of the following Canada Council programs:
- Creation/Production in Dance: Multi-Year and Biennial Grants
- Annual and Multi-Year Grants to Aboriginal Peoples Dance Companies
- Inter-Arts Office: Multi-Year Grants to Organizations
- Grants to Media Arts Organizations: Multi-Year
- New Music: Multi-Year and Annual Grants
- Music: Grants to Professional Orchestras
- Opera/New Opera Program: Annual and Multi-Year Grants
- Professional Music Organizations Program: Annual and Multi-Year Grants
- Music: Grants to Professional Choirs
- Theatre - Multi-Year Grants to Professional Organizations
- Visual Arts - Assistance to Artist Run Centres
- have received at least 2 Canada Council project grants in the last 5 years. This excludes grants from Leadership for Change: Grants for Organizational Development, Flying Squad, Visiting Foreign Artists, and travel programs.
- be an incorporated not-for-profit arts organization
- work with a professional staff
- have at least 5 years of continuous professional artistic activities that are accessible to the public
- have had total revenues exceeding $75 000 in each of the last 3 years (some exceptions may be considered)
Deadline and Grant Amount
of your total annual revenues, averaged over the last 3 years