Engage and Sustain
The Artistic Catalysts component of Engage and Sustain funds Canadian arts organizations that play a pivotal role in nurturing artistic practices and respond to the evolution of creative communities across Canada. Grants support the activities of organizations that facilitate interactions among artists and connections with the public.
Please see guidelines for details and the translation deadline date.
Activities - what you can apply for
You can apply for a contribution towards activities that:
- develop and promote artistic programming
- build public outreach
- support artistic practice, other art forms and the Canadian arts sector
You can’t apply for activities that receive funding from another Canada Council program or those on the general list of ineligible activities.
Who can apply
Types of potential applicants to this component include:
- artistic organizations
Your eligibility to apply to this component is determined by the validated profile created in the portal and a conversation you have had with a Program Officer. To be eligible, your organization must play a role in advancing artistic practice and the cultural development of your local or regional community. You must offer at least 1 public presentation, exhibition, production or program in your region annually, and meet the following basic administrative, programming and financial criteria:
- presently receive core (operating) support through one of the following Canada Council programs:
- Creation/Production in Dance: Multi-Year and Biennial Grants
- Annual and Multi-Year Grants to Aboriginal Peoples Dance Companies
- Inter-Arts Office: Multi-Year Grants to Organizations
- Grants to Media Arts Organizations: Multi-Year
- New Music: Multi-Year and Annual Grants
- Music: Grants to Professional Orchestras
- Opera/New Opera Program: Annual and Multi-Year Grants
- Professional Music Organizations Program: Annual and Multi-Year Grants
- Music: Grants to Professional Choirs
- Theatre - Multi-Year Grants to Professional Organizations
- Grants to Art Museums and Public Galleries
- Visual Arts - Assistance to Artist Run Centres
- have received at least 2 Canada Council project grants in the last 5 years. This excludes grants from Leadership for Change: Grants for Organizational Development, Flying Squad, Visiting Foreign Artists, and travel programs.
- be an incorporated not-for-profit arts organization
- work with a professional staff
- have at least 5 years of continuous professional programming that is accessible to the public
- have had total revenues exceeding $75 000 in each of the last 3 years (some exceptions may be considered)
Deadline and Grant Amount
of your total annual revenues, averaged over the last 3 years