Professional Development for Artists
Explore and Create
Due to COVID-19:
- the Canada Council has established a blackout period during which time we will not be supporting some travel-related activities
- there may be restrictions or conditions on projects in which public gatherings are an essential part
The Professional Development for Artists component of Explore and Create supports the career growth of Canadian artists and artistic groups by encouraging participation in a wide range of development opportunities. Grants fund activities that contribute to the professional advancement of Canadian artists working in all artistic disciplines.
You may be eligible for Application Assistance to pay someone to help you with the application process if you are experiencing difficulty and self-identify as:
- an artist who is Deaf, hard of hearing, has a disability or is living with a mental illness
- a First Nations, Inuit or Métis artist facing language, geographic and/or cultural barriers.
To calculate the amount you can request for travel costs, see the fixed travel rates.
Activities - what you can apply for
Support for professional development activities and career advancement, including but not limited to:
- specialized training
You can’t apply for activities that occur before your project start date, those that receive funding from another Canada Council program or those on the general list of ineligible activities.
You can’t apply for residencies or self-directed projects that focus primarily on creation. Please see Research and Creation or Arts Abroad – Residencies for funding options.
Who can apply
Types of potential applicants to this component include:
- artists and curators
- artistic groups and collectives
Your eligibility to apply to this component is determined by the validated profile created in the portal.
Deadline and Grant Amount