Due to COVID-19:
- the Canada Council has established a blackout period during which time we will not be supporting travel-related activities
- there may be restrictions or conditions on projects in which public gatherings are an essential part
- exceptionally, for components that were temporarily suspended, activities and costs incurred before an application submission date may be eligible. Please refer to our Deadlines and Notification of Results page and contact the relevant program
Our guidelines and forms will not reflect these changes; for details please visit our COVID-19: Information and support for the arts sector web page.
The Residencies component of Arts Abroad funds activities linked to international artistic and cultural exchanges for Canadian artists, arts professionals, artistic groups and arts organizations. Grants support creative research, creation and networking activities within the context of an international residency.
You may be eligible for Application Assistance to pay someone to help you with the application process if you are experiencing difficulty and self-identify as:
- an artist who is Deaf, hard of hearing, has a disability or is living with a mental illness
- a First Nations, Inuit or Métis artist facing language, geographic and/or cultural barriers.
Activities - what is eligible
You must be invited or selected by an international organization to participate in a residency of at least 1 week. If you do not have an invitation or confirmation, you can apply to the Explore and Create: Research and Creation component.
You can apply for:
- creative research
- networking activities
You can't apply for activities that occur before your departure date, those that receive funding from another Canada Council program or those on the general list of ineligible activities.
Who can apply
Types of potential applicants to this component include:
- artists and curators
- arts professionals
- artistic groups and collectives
- artistic organizations
Your eligibility to apply to this component is determined by the validated profile created in the portal.
Organizations presently receiving core (operating) grants can apply for exceptional projects that extend beyond regular activities. You are responsible for demonstrating the exceptional nature of your project.
Deadline and Grant Amount