Research and Creation
Explore and Create
The Research and Creation component of Explore and Create supports the initial stages of the creative process. Canadian artists, artistic groups and arts organizations can apply to develop and make creative works. Grants provide support for creative research, creation and project development.
You may be eligible for Application Assistance to pay someone to help you with the application process if you are experiencing difficulty and self-identify as:
- an artist who is Deaf, hard of hearing, has a disability or is living with a mental illness
- a First Nations, Inuit or Métis artist facing language, geographic and/or cultural barriers.
Activities - what you can apply for
- creative research
- project development, including residencies
Projects involving production and/or post-production of a final work must apply to Concept to Realization.
You can’t apply for activities that occur before your project start date, those that receive funding from another Canada Council program or those on the general list of ineligible activities.
Who can apply
Types of potential applicants to this component include:
- artists, curators and writers
- artistic groups and collectives
- artistic organizations
Your eligibility to apply to this component is determined by the validated profile created in the portal.
Organizations presently receiving core (operating) grants cannot apply to this component.
Deadline and Grant Amount