Funds are available to pay for services to individuals who experience disability-related barriers within the application and final reporting processes for Canada Council programs. Applicants who are Deaf, have disabilities and/or are living with mental illness, may apply for funding to contribute to costs for services that assist them specifically in:
- creating a portal account and submitting an applicant profile (Portal Assistance)
- completing and submitting a grant application (Application Assistance)
- completing and submitting a final report (Final Report Assistance)
Support is available towards a broad range of services.
Who can receive Assistance?
An individual applicant or the lead applicant for a group who:
- self-identifies as Deaf, having a disability and/or living with mental illness
- experiences disability-related barriers within the portal, application and/or final reporting process
When do I submit my request?
|Request||When to submit|
|Portal Assistance||8 weeks prior to deadline or if there is no fixed deadline, 8 weeks before you plan to apply|
|Application Assistance||4 weeks prior to deadline or if there is no fixed deadline, 4 weeks before you plan to apply|
|Final Report Assistance||4 weeks prior to the date the final report is due|
How do I request Assistance?
- Contact the officer responsible for the relevant program, or call 1-800-263-5588 ext. 5060
- Identify the type of assistance you are requesting: Portal, Application or Final Report Assistance
- Identify who you will hire (service provider), the type of services they will provide, and the projected number of hours required to complete the work as well as their rate
- Request a quote from your service provider (This applies to application and final report assistance only.)
- Determine the amount you are requesting. This amount must be within the maximum contributions according to the information below:
- Portal account/applicant profile creation: 1-2 hours at a rate of $50/hr (maximum $100)
Application and Final Report Assistance
- You must have a validated applicant profile to receive application assistance.
- You must meet the eligibility requirements for the component to which you are applying
Maximum contribution by type of assistance
- General transcription or editing services and organizing support materials:
This applies where the applicant identifies barriers within the writing process directly due to physical/learning disability or due to living with mental illness. Type of assistance Hours Contribution Travel/Professional development grants 2-3 hrs $80-100 Project grants 4-6 hrs $150-350 Final reports 2-3 hrs $80-100
- Sign language translation into written English or French:
This applies in instances where the applicant identifies as Deaf/hard of hearing, wishes to develop an application in Sign language, and works with an editor to translate application into English or French. Type of assistance Hours Contribution Travel/Professional development grants 4-6 hrs $200-300 ASL $300-400 LSQ Project grants 7-12 hrs $350-600 ASL $500-850 LSQ Final reports 4-6 hrs $200-300 ASL $280-420 LSQ
- Application development with artists with intellectual or developmental disabilities:
This applies where the applicant identifies barriers within the writing process directly due to physical/learning disability or due to living with mental illness. Type of assistance Hours Contribution Travel/Professional development grants 4-6 hrs $150-300 Project grants 7-12 hrs $300-600 Final reports 4-6 hrs $150-300
Please note: your service provider cannot be a project participant.
How will my request be assessed?
An officer will assess your request by determining your eligibility and reviewing the quote based on the amounts above.
What are the final steps?
- The officer will let you know the amount of Canada Council's contribution, if you are eligible.
- Your service provider will send an invoice (for the amount approved) to the officer.
- The officer will arrange payment to the service provider, only after the work has been completed and the profile, application or final report has been accepted by the Council.