Translation Rights Fair at the Salon du livre de Montréal
Ottawa, September 6, 2016 – The Translation Rights Fair is a one-of-a-kind event organized by the Canada Council for the Arts since 2011. Each year, English- and French-language publishers have the opportunity to meet, exchange information, and buy and sell translation rights. For its seventh edition, the Canada Council and the Salon du livre de Montréal are pleased to announce a new partnership: in November 2016, the Salon du livre de Montréal will be welcoming the Fair as part of its annual event. The integration of the Translation Rights Fair into the activities of the Salon du livre gives participants an even better opportunity for networking with professionals in the publishing world from Canada and abroad.
This year, the Fair will take place on Thursday, November 17, from 8:30 am to 5 pm on the site of the Salon at Place Bonaventure (Level 5 - South). The day of meetings and networking will be followed by a reception organized by the Canada Council to celebrate the new partnership and commemorate the 80th anniversary of the Governor General’s Literary Awards and the 30th anniversary of the Public Lending Right Commission.
The Canada Council for the Arts, in partnership with Canadian Heritage, is proud to be associated with the Salon du livre de Montréal, a wonderful literary event that brings book lovers together every year. The Translation Rights Fair is an annual event that is eagerly awaited by English- and French-language literary publishers. Thus, it was a natural progression for the Fair to become part of the largest Canadian book fair, and participants will have access to a greater variety of activities in the stimulating context of the Salon. With this partnership, the Council reaffirms its support to all those who work to ensure that Canadian literary translation continues to thrive, for the enrichment and enjoyment of readers in both official language communities.
Arash Mohtashami Maali, Director, Writing and Publishing, Canada Council for the Arts
We are delighted to welcome the Translation Rights Fair to the Salon du livre de Montréal. The new partnership with the Canada Council for the Arts will help publishers expand their networks and make deals while taking advantage of this fantastic annual book fair. Welcome, one and all, to the Salon du livre de Montréal, and may you have a productive and enjoyable time.
Gilda Routy, Chair of the Board of the Salon du livre de Montréal
Translation Rights Fair
- The Fair is a unique event in Canada that serves both official languages communities, encourages the vitality of Canadian literature and promotes exchanges between the two linguistic groups.
- The last edition of the Fair brought together more than 100 participants, representatives of 73 Canadian literary publishers, resulting in more than 250 one-on-one meetings.
- The Translation Rights Fair is funded by the Canada Council for the Arts with support from the Department of Canadian Heritage.
Salon du livre de Montréal
- The Salon du livre de Montréal is the largest French-language literary event in North America, and its mission is to promote books and reading among people of all ages.
- The Salon at a glance: 115,000 visitors, 2000 authors, 1300 participating exhibitors/authors and more than 200 activities: presentations, readings, debates, awards ceremonies…
- In addition to the Translation Rights Fair, activities dedicated to publishing professionals (authors, publishers, translators, editors, distributors, bookstores, libraries, etc.) are organized during the Journées des professionnels.
- The Salon du livre de Montréal takes place November 16 to 21, 2016, Place Bonaventure (800 De La Gauchetière St. West).
Manager, Communications Content
Canada Council for the Arts
150 Elgin St. P.O. Box 1047
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5V8
613-566-4414, ext. 4557
Toll free: 1-800-263-5533, ext. 4557