The Canada Council for the Arts proudly supports Canada’s official entry at 2018 Venice Biennale in Architecture, the world’s most prestigious international architecture competition.
Doubling its previous investment to enhance international exposure, the Canada Council for the Arts is making a contribution of $500,000 towards the 2018 exhibition and is, for the first time, also acting as its Commissioner.
About Canada’s Official Entry: UNCEDED: Voices of the Land
Presented by internationally renowned architect and human rights activist Douglas Cardinal, and curated by Gerald McMaster and David Fortin, UNCEDED: Voices of the Land is the first Indigenous-led exhibition to be presented at the Venice Biennale in Architecture and showcases the work of 18 Indigenous architects and designers from across Turtle Island (Canada and the United States).
The exhibition explores 4 key themes: indigeneity, resilience, sovereignty and colonization through an immersive audio-visual experience complete with motion graphics, eye-to-eye life-size video projections and original soundscapes engineered by Dave Plowman and celebrated musicians Tim Hill (2oolman) and Iskwé.
UNCEDED is a celebration of Indigenous architecture that speaks to and from diverse landscapes, overcoming unforgiving limitations, and serving as a register of hope and pride across Turtle Island.
UNCEDED: Voices of the Land is one of the most riveting and transformative offerings at the Biennale this year; a poignant testimony of the power of architecture based on an Indigenous worldview. Acting as Commissioner, the Canada Council for the Arts is immensely proud to play a role bringing this unique project to the world stage
Simon Brault, Director and CEO of the Canada Council for the Arts
May 24, 3:30 PM at the Arsenale, Isolotto
May 24, 5:00 PM at the Arsenale, Isolotto
The exhibition is open to the public
May 26 - November 25, 2018
Owing to the unavailability of the Canada Pavilion during its restoration, UNCEDED: Voices of the Land is presented in the Venice Arsenale, while in the Canada Pavilion, the National Gallery presents: Canada Builds/Rebuilds a Pavilion in Venice from May 26-November 25, 2018.
The 16th International Architecture Exhibition is curated by Yvonne Farrell and Shelley McNamara and organized by La Biennale di Venezia chaired by Paolo Baratta.
The preview took place on May 24th and 25th, the awards ceremony and public opening were held on Saturday May 26th 2018. The Biennale Architettura 2018 is titled FREESPACE, a word which describes a generosity of spirit and a sense of humanity at the core of architecture's agenda.
The exhibition will also include 63 National Participations in the historic Pavilions at the Giardini, at the Arsenale, and in the historic city centre of Venice.
Proposals were reviewed by a peer-assessment committee that included the following members:
- John Shnier - founding partner, Kohn Shnier Architects and Associate Professor at the Daniels Faculty of Architecture Landscape and Design at The University of Toronto (Toronto, ON).
- Lola Sheppard - founding partner, Lateral Office and Associate Professor at the University of Waterloo (Toronto, ON).
- Nancy Marie Mithlo, Ph.D. - Sabbatical leave 2017/18: Visiting Scholar, University of California Los Angeles Institute of American Cultures, American Indian Studies Center, George A. and Eliza Gardner Howard Foundation Fellow, Brown University, Getty Research Institute Guest Researcher, Associate Professor of Art History and Visual Arts, Occidental College (Los Angeles, CA).
- Eduardo Aquino - Associate Professor at the Faculty of Architecture at the University of Manitoba (Winnipeg, MB).
Along with the winning project, the proposals from the following firms made the 2018 Venice Architecture Biennale shortlist:
Ja Architecture Studio (Toronto, ON);
Patkau Architects (Vancouver, BC);
Scapegoat: Architecture / Landscape / Political Economy (Toronto, ON).
- 2016 Opsys, Extraction www.extraction.ca
- 2014 Lateral Office, Arctic Adaptations: Nunavut at 15 www.arcticadaptations.ca
- 2012 5468796 Architecture Inc, Migrating Landscape www.5468796.ca/#mlo
- 2010 Philip Beesley Architect Inc., Hylozoic Ground www.philipbeesleyarchitect.com
- 2008 Cambridge Galleries, 41° to 66°: Architecture in Canada – Region, Culture, Tectonics
- 2006 Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design, SweaterLodge
- 2004 Saucier & Perrotte Architectes, Found Objects www.saucierperrotte.com
- 2002 Inter Access: Electronic Media Arts Centre and Alphabet City, Next Memory City - Toronto: Venice - Michael Awad, Eve Egoyan and David Rokeby www.interaccess.org
- 2000 Canadian Centre for Architecture, Melvin Charney’s UN DICTIONNAIRE...
For more information
Public Relations and Social Media Advisor
613-566-4414, ext. 6030
Toll free: 1-800-263-5588, ext. 6030
To book interviews with the members of the UNCEDED team:
NATIONAL Public Relations
- May 25, 2018 – Canada Makes History at 16th Venice Architecture Biennale with Unprecedented Indigenous-Led Exhibition
- September 19, 2017 – Indigenous design UNCEDED, led by renowned Architect Douglas Cardinal, will represent Canada at the 2018 Venice Architecture Biennale
- May 25, 2018 – Simon Brault at the 2018 Venice Biennale in Architecture