1. Funding
  2. Prizes
  3. John G. Diefenbaker Award

John G. Diefenbaker Award

Tobias Richter

Tobias Richter

Photographer(s): Dr. Darius Endlich

Current Winner

Tobias Richter

Tobias Richter is a researcher and professor of educational psychology who has been working at Julius-Maximilians University, in Würzburg, Germany, since 2016. He studied psychology and philosophy at Goethe University, in Frankfurt, Germany, and received a PhD in psychology from the University of Cologne in 2003. After positions as a postdoctoral fellow at Florida State University and acting professor at the University of Cologne, he was a professor of cognitive psychology at the University of Kassel, in Germany. His research interests include the psychological effects of narratives, the cognitive foundations of learning, language and text comprehension, learning from text and digital media, and learning disorders.

What is this prize?

The John G. Diefenbaker Award enables distinguished German scholars in the social sciences or humanities to conduct research in Canada.

Who created this prize?

This award was created in 1991 in memory of former Prime Minister John G. Diefenbaker. It is the counterpart to the Konrad Adenauer Award, which the Government of Germany established in 1988 for scholars from Canada. Both awards are designed to encourage exchange between the university communities of Canada and Germany.

For more information


1-800-263-5588 (toll-free) or 613-566-4414, ext. 4086


November 1, 2023

Annual competition

Prize amount

Up to


Updated guidelines will be posted 2 months prior to the deadline. Submit your nomination to diefenbaker-award@canadacouncil.ca.

Cumulative list of winners

The Canada Council is committed to equity in all its activities, including the administration of our prizes and awards.


If you are Deaf, hard of hearing, or a TTY user, please use your preferred MRS (Message Relay Service) or IP service to contact the Canada Council.

The Canada Council for the Arts can also receive calls from a video relay service (VRS). For more information, visit the VRS Canada website.