Arts Across Canada
Due to COVID-19:
- the Canada Council has established a blackout period during which time we will not be supporting travel-related activities
- there may be restrictions or conditions on projects in which public gatherings are an essential part
- exceptionally, for components that were temporarily suspended, activities and costs incurred before an application submission date may be eligible. Please refer to our Deadlines and Notification of Results page and contact the relevant program
Our guidelines and forms will not reflect these changes; for details please visit our COVID-19: Information and support for the arts sector web page.
The Travel component of Arts Across Canada funds activities linked to Canadian presentation, exhibition, artistic collaboration, networking and building market opportunities for Canadian artists, arts professionals, artistic groups and arts organizations. Grants provide support to participate in significant events, build a national presence and for festivals and presenters to conduct research for Canadian artistic programming.
You may be eligible for Application Assistance to pay someone to help you with the application process if you are experiencing difficulty and self-identify as:
- an artist who is Deaf, hard of hearing, has a disability or is living with a mental illness
- a First Nations, Inuit or Métis artist facing language, geographic and/or cultural barriers.
Activities - what is eligible
Travel within Canada must be at least 300 kilometers from your place of departure, and by invitation.
Travel from an international departure to a Canadian destination must also be by invitation.
You can apply for single or several destinations within 1 trip to/for:
- develop markets and networks (including participation in official showcases)
- present artistic work
- explore future artistic collaborations
- build on an existing tour (for a single representative of a group or organization)
- prospection for exhibition tours (directors and curators only)
- participate in significant events
Or, for the following activity that does not require an invitation, to:
- research artistic content for programming in Canadian festivals, exhibitions or presentations
You can't apply for activities that occur before your departure start date, those that receive funding from another Canada Council program or those on the general list of ineligible activities.
Who can apply
Types of potential applicants to this component include:
- artists and curators
- arts professionals
- cultural connectors and sector builders (Equity arts sector)
- artistic groups and collectives
- artistic organizations
- festivals, presenters and touring networks
Your eligibility to apply to this component is determined by the validated profile created in the portal.
Organizations presently receiving core(operating) grants can apply to this component.
Deadline and Grant Amount
Up to $30 000 per year (1 March – 28/29 February)