The Travel component of Arts Abroad funds travel linked to international presentation, exhibition, artistic collaboration, networking and new market opportunities for Canadian artists and arts professionals, artistic groups and arts organizations. Grants provide support to attend significant events outside of Canada and build international presence.
You may be eligible for Application Assistance to pay someone to help you with the application process if you are experiencing difficulty and self-identify as:
- an artist who is Deaf, hard of hearing, has a disability or is living with a mental illness
- a First Nations, Inuit or Métis artist facing language, geographic and/or cultural barriers.
Activities - what is eligible
Travel must be outside of Canada, at least 500 kilometers from your place of departure, and by invitation. You can apply for single or several destinations within one trip, to/for:
- develop markets and networks (including participation in official showcases)
- present artistic work
- explore future artistic collaborations
- prospection for exhibition tours (directors and curators only)
- participate in significant events
- build on an existing tour (for a single representative of a group or organization)
You can't apply for activities that occur before your departure date, those that receive funding from another Canada Council program or those on the general list of ineligible activities.
Who can apply
Types of potential applicants to this component include:
- artists and curators
- arts professionals
- cultural connectors and sector builders (Equity arts sector)
- artistic groups and collectives
- artistic organizations
Your eligibility to apply to this component is determined by the validated profile created in the portal.
Organizations presently receiving core grants can apply to this component.
Deadline and Grant Amount
Up to $30 000 per year (1 March – 28/29 February)