Engage and Sustain
The Artistic Institutions component of Engage and Sustain funds major Canadian arts organizations rooted in their communities and dedicated to supporting artists and a variety of arts practices. Grants support institutions as artistic leaders to carry out activities that encourage and promote the work of creators, strengthening their relationships with the public.
Please see guidelines for details and the translation deadline date.
Activities - what you can apply for
You can apply for a contribution towards activities that:
- develop and promote artistic programming
- build public outreach
- support artistic practice, other art forms and the Canadian arts sector
You can’t apply for activities that receive funding from another Canada Council program or those on the general list of ineligible activities.
Who can apply
Types of potential applicants to this component include:
- artistic organizations
Your eligibility to apply to this component is determined by the validated profile created in the portal and a conversation you have had with a Program Officer.
To be eligible, your organization must play a role in advancing artistic practice and the cultural development of your local or regional community. You must also meet the following basic administrative, programming and financial criteria:
- presently receive core (operating) support through one of the following Canada Council programs:
- Creation/Production in Dance: Multi-Year and Biennial Grants
- Annual and Multi-Year Grants to Aboriginal Peoples Dance Companies
- Inter-Arts Office: Multi-Year Grants to Organizations
- New Music: Multi-Year and Annual Grants
- Opera/New Opera Program: Annual and Multi-Year Grants
- Professional Music Organizations Program: Annual and Multi-Year Grants
- Music: Grants to Professional Choirs
- Theatre - Multi-Year Grants to Professional Organizations
- Grants to Art Museums and Public Galleries
- be an incorporated not-for-profit arts organization
- work with a professional staff
- have a dedicated space or regularly use the same venue(s) for your public activities
- offer at least 3 different public presentations, exhibitions, productions or programs annually (often as a subscription or member series)
- have a demonstrated history and current practice of showing the works of multiple creative artists
- have other sources of public revenues, and had total revenues exceeding $2 million in each of the last 3 years (some exceptions may be considered)
Deadline and Grant Amount
of your total annual revenues, averaged over the last 3 years