Arts Across Canada
The Translation component of Arts Across Canada funds activities linked to the translation of Canadian literary works or dramatic works into French, English or an Aboriginal (First Nations, Inuit or Métis) language for Canadian publication or presentation.
Individuals who are Deaf or who have disabilities, including those living with mental illness, and require accommodation at any stage of the application process may be eligible for additional assistance.
Activities - what is eligible
Your application can include 1 or more requests to:
- translate Canadian-authored literary work into French, English or an Aboriginal (First Nations, Inuit or Métis) language, for publication
- translate and surtitle Canadian-authored dramatic work into French, English or an Aboriginal (First Nations, Inuit or Métis) language, for Canadian presentation
In addition, you can apply once per year for an Annual Supplement for reading fees, bilingual editing and promotional expenses.
You can’t apply for activities that occur before the deadline date, those that receive funding from another Canada Council program or those on the general list of ineligible activities.
Who can apply
Types of potential applicants to this component include:
- literary publishers
- theatre and multidisciplinary groups and collectives
- theatre companies and dramaturgical organizations
- multidisciplinary organizations
- First Nations, Inuit and Métis groups or collectives
- First Nations, Inuit and Métis organizations
Your eligibility to apply to this component is determined by the validated profile created in the portal.
Additionally, for organizations with profiles in Literature (with the exception of Indigenous Publishers), you must presently receive core (operating) support through the Supporting Artistic Practice: Literary Publishers component.
Organizations presently receiving core (operating) grants can apply to this component.
Amounts you can request
These are the amounts you can request towards translation and surtitling.
Literature projects: The amount of the grant is based on the word count of the source text and the following per-word rates:
- $0.25 for poetry
- $0.20 for drama
- $0.18 for all other genres.
- Translation of scripts: The amount of the grant is based on the word count of the source text and the per-word rate of $0.20.
- Translation of surtitles: There is no fixed rate; applicants should propose total anticipated costs.
Deadline and Grant Amount
Up to $25 000 for each translation, plus an Annual Supplement for targeted costs