Arts Across Canada
Due to COVID-19:
- the Canada Council has established a blackout period during which time we will not be supporting some travel-related activities
- there may be restrictions or conditions on projects in which public gatherings are an essential part
The Public Outreach component of Arts Across Canada supports activities of Canadian groups and organizations, as well as professionals in architecture, that contribute to the public appreciation and enjoyment of the arts. Grants fund a wide range of live events, publications and other initiatives that build connections between artists and diverse audiences.
You can apply for:
- a project grant for a single activity
- a composite grant for several activities that take place over one to three years.
You may be eligible for Application Assistance to pay someone to help you with the application process if you are experiencing difficulty and self-identify as:
- an artist who is Deaf, hard of hearing, has a disability or is living with a mental illness
- a First Nations, Inuit or Métis artist facing language, geographic and/or cultural barriers.
Activities - what is eligible
You can apply for activities that contribute to the public’s appreciation and enjoyment of the arts, such as:
- Exhibitions and other dissemination initiatives
- programming events
- non-literary publishing (excluding promotional materials)
- knowledge-sharing events or forums
- public development strategies and initiatives
You can’t apply for activities that occur before the deadline date, those that receive funding from another Canada Council program or those on the general list of ineligible activities.
Who can apply
Types of potential applicants to this component include:
- artistic groups and collectives
- artistic organizations
- support groups, organizations and shared platforms
- national arts service organizations
- festivals, presenters and touring networks
- book and magazine publishers
- architects, architectural professionals, groups, collectives and firms
Your eligibility to apply to this component is determined by the validated profile created in the portal.
To be eligible for a composite grant, you must have received at least 2 Canada Council project grants in the last 5 years. This excludes grants from the following components and programs: Professional Development, Small-Scale Activities, Travel, Representation and Promotion, Digital Strategy Fund, Leadership for Change: Grants for Organizational Development, Flying Squad, and Visiting Foreign Artists.
Organizations presently receiving core grants:
- are not eligible for composite grants.
- are eligible to apply for project grants for activities not funded through core support. The proposed project must include exceptional, non-recurring initiatives that fall outside the scope of activities usually undertaken by the organization.
Book and magazine publishers:
- If the Canada Council is aware that your organization owes royalty payments to writers, illustrators, translators and/or other copyright licensors as of the application deadline, your application will not be eligible.
Deadline and Grant Amount
per year (to a maximum of
$300 000 over 3 years)