Apply on the portal
Create an account and submit one or more profile(s) for validation at least 30 days before you want to apply
The Translation component of Arts Abroad funds the translation of Canadian literary works or dramatic works for international presentation or publication.
You may be eligible for Application Assistance to pay someone to help you with the application process if you are experiencing difficulty and self-identify as:
- an artist who is Deaf, hard of hearing, has a disability or is living with a mental illness
- a First Nations, Inuit or Métis artist facing language, geographic and/or cultural barriers.
What you can apply for
- Translation of Canadian-authored literary work into a foreign language and related promotional activities
- Translation and surtitling of Canadian-authored dramatic work into another language for foreign presentation
You can’t apply for activities that occur before you submit your application, those that receive funding from another Canada Council program or those on the general list of ineligible activities.
Who can apply
- international literary publishers and theatre organizations
- theatre and multidisciplinary groups and collectives
- theatre companies and dramaturgical organizations
- multidisciplinary organizations
Your eligibility to apply to this component is determined by the validated profile created in the portal.
Theatre organizations presently receiving core (operating) grants can apply to this component. Other organizations presently receiving core (operating) grants cannot apply.
Amounts you can request
- Costs related to translation and surtitling, based on the standard translation rates in effect in your country
- Literature projects: Costs may be up to 50% of the translator’s fee.
- Theatre projects: Applicants should propose the total anticipated costs for translation of scripts or surtitles.
- In addition, for literary translations, promotional expenses for the translated book:
- Eligible promotional expenses are ads, posters and bookmarks, publicist fees, promotional items and special events to promote the translated title.
- Standard promotional costs such as catalogues, newsletter listings and web pages are not eligible.
Deadline and Grant Amount
for each translation