Supporting Artistic Practice
The Support Organizations component of Supporting Artistic Practice funds Canadian arts organizations that reinforce Canadian art practice through a range of targeted activities and services, including those that bolster the creative and professional capacities of artists working in all disciplines.
Please see guidelines for details and the translation deadline date.
Activities - what you can apply for
You can apply for a contribution towards ongoing activities and services that:
- provide targeted resources and opportunities for the development of a particular artistic practice, group of artists and/or arts organizations
You can’t apply for activities that receive funding from another Canada Council program or those on the general list of ineligible activities.
Who can apply
Types of potential applicants to this component include:
- support organizations and shared platforms
- artist-run centres
- magazines on the arts and literature
- agencies and management service organizations
Your eligibility to apply to this component is determined by the validated profile created in the portal and a conversation you have had with a Program Officer.
To be eligible, your organization must:
- presently receive core (operating) support through one of the following Canada Council programs:
- Audience and Market Development Office - Performing Arts: Multi-Year and Annual Grants to Agents and Managers
- Support Services to the Dance Milieu: Multi-Year and Annual Grants
- Grants to Media Arts Organizations: Multi-Year
- Professional Music Organizations Program: Annual and Multi-Year Grants
- Theatre - Multi-Year Grants to Professional Organizations
- Visual Arts - Assistance to Artist Run Centres
- Grants to National Visual Arts Service Organizations
- Literary Arts Promotion (Annual and Multi-Year)
- Grants to Literary and Arts Magazines
- have received at least 3 Canada Council project grants in the last 5 years. This excludes grants from Leadership for Change: Grants for Organizational Development, Flying Squad, Visiting Foreign Artists, and travel programs (with the exception of Audience and Market Development Travel Grants)
- be a registered or incorporated arts organization
- work with a professional staff
- have at least 5 years of continuous activities and services that support professional arts practice
- have had total revenues exceeding $50 000 in each of the last 3 years (some exceptions may be considered)
Magazine publishers: Your application will not be eligible if your organization owes royalty payments to writers, illustrators, translators and/or other copyright licensors as of the application deadline.
Deadline and Grant Amount
of your total annual revenues, averaged over the last 3 years