Supporting Artistic Practice
The Literary Publishers component of Supporting Artistic Practice funds Canadian publishers of literary books and magazines committed to developing and promoting Canadian literary writers through the publishing process.
Activities - what you can apply for
You can apply for a contribution towards activities that develop and promote Canadian literary writers through the publishing process.
You can’t apply for activities that receive funding from another Canada Council program or those on the general list of ineligible activities.
Who can apply
Types of potential applicants to this component:
- Canadian literary book and creative writing magazine publishers
Your eligibility to apply to this component is determined by the validated profile created in the portal.
You must also meet the following basic criteria:
- presently receive core (operating) support from this component
If your organization is presently receiving core support from another component, you must contact your Program Officer to confirm your eligibility before you apply.
- have received at least 2 Canada Council publishing project grants from the following programs in the last 3 years:
Supporting Artistic Practice: Literary Publishing Projects
Capacity Building Initiative Program: Project Grants
Cultivate: Sector Development Project Grant
Grants to Literary and Arts Magazines
Support to Book Publishing: Block Grants
Support to Book Publishing: Emerging Publisher Grants
- have had total revenues exceeding $30 000 in each of the last 3 years (some exceptions may be considered)
- book publishers: have published at least 16 eligible literary titles, publish at least 4 eligible literary titles annually and operate on an ongoing basis. Please familiarize yourself with the definition of eligible literary titles
- magazine publishers: have published at least 2 issues of the magazine in the year preceding this application
Your application will not be eligible if your organization (as of the application deadline):
- does not pay fees or royalties according to standards of the arts practice
- has not fulfilled all contractual obligations related to copyright payments.
Deadline and Grant Amount
Book and magazine publishers