Senior Human Resources Advisor
Closing date: 17 October, 2019
Competition: 2107 (Internal/External)
Status: Regular Full-time
Section: Human Resources Operations
Salary Scale: $77,017 to $90,642
About the Canada Council for the Arts
Join our team and play a role in supporting Canadian creativity. The Canada Council is a dynamic, highly-respected federal Crown corporation with a mandate to foster and promote the study and enjoyment of, and production of works in, the arts for the benefit of all Canadians. We offer competitive salaries and benefit package. For more information about the Canada Council for the Arts, please visit our website at www.canadacouncil.ca.
About the role
Under the direct supervision of the Manager, Human Resources Operations, the incumbent is responsible for coordinating and delivering front-line consultative and advisory services to support management, staff, and external applicants on all matters pertaining to the interpretation and application of labour relations policies and procedures including employment legislation, collective agreements and staffing policies and procedures.
As the Senior Human Resources Advisor, you will:
- provide guidance and advice to immediate supervisors and employees related to employee relations, staffing, labour relations, classification, employment equity, official languages, accommodation and conflict of interest;
- be responsible for the development, revision and implementation of policies and procedures in the area of expertise and for various reporting activities and initiatives;
- and perform other related duties.
You may be required to travel up to 10 days per year and on occasion.
This position is located in Ottawa.
Requirements of the position
- An undergraduate degree in human resources or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and professional experience related to the responsibilities of the position
- Five (5) years of experience in Human Resources including at least two (2) years in the area of labour relations
- Experience in at least one other area of Human Resources such as: staffing, classification, official languages or employment equity would be an asset
- Solid knowledge of the principles and practices of human resources management
- Solid knowledge of labour relations procedures
- Knowledge of procedures for staffing including testing procedures and concepts to ensure viability, reliability and validity of the selection processes
- Knowledge of the federal Employment Equity Act, Official Language Act, Canada Labour Code, the Canadian Human Rights Act, and other relevant legislation
- Knowledge of the operation and effective implementation of Collective Agreements
- Knowledge of formal and informal dispute resolution methodology, procedures and techniques i.e. mediation
Skills & Competencies
- Exemplary Interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills in the resolution of sensitive and complex and issues
- Ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality
- Ability to exercise sound judgment
- Ability to multi-task, deal with competing priorities and tight deadlines
This position requires the use of both official languages. The requirements in the second official language are: an advanced level in oral and reading comprehension and an intermediate level in writing.
How to apply
Send the complete Application Form quoting the competition number listed above and a copy of your resume to the attention of Mylène Mougeot, Human Resources, prior to the closing date by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information please contact Mylène Mougeot at 613-566-4414 or 1-800-263-5588, extension 4124 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview and/or a written exam will be contacted.
TTY machine (toll-free)
The Canada Council for the Arts is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the targeted groups (women, visible minorities, Indigenous and persons with disabilities) when you apply.
We are committed to providing a workplace that is inclusive and accessible to all. Should you require accommodation during the staffing process, please do not hesitate to contact a member of our Human Resources team.