Senior Administrative Assistant
Closing date: 29 November 2021
Competition: 102301 (Internal/External)
Status: Temporary Full-time (one year)
Section: Arts Granting Programs
Salary Scale: $60,384 to $71,307
About the Canada Council for the Arts
Join our team and play a role in supporting Canadian creativity. The Canada Council is a dynamic, highly-respected federal Crown corporation with a mandate to foster and promote the study and enjoyment of, and production of works in, the arts for the benefit of all Canadians. We offer competitive salaries and benefit package. For more information about the Canada Council for the Arts, please visit our website at www.canadacouncil.ca.
About the role
Under the direct supervision of the Director General, Arts Granting Programs, the Senior Administrative Assistant provides coordination and office management support for all administrative and financial functions related to the Director General.
As the Senior Administrative Assistant, you will:
- coordinate meetings, invitations, events, correspondence and minutes;
- ensure management of all office coordination requirements (records management, attendance, follow ups, etc.);
- provide logistical support;
- provide coordination of information;
- prepare reports and coordinate the development of Board reports;
- communicate and interact effectively with a variety of individuals including the Director General’s direct reports and the Executive Management Committee (EMC) members;
- assist with the monitoring of the unit’s budgets;
- prepare and coordinate professional services contracts;
- provide support in the management of projects;
- monitor critical paths;
- draft a variety of documents such as presentation material, response e-mails, letters and content for communication activities;
- collaborate and liaise with Senior Administrative Assistants in other programs and divisions, including the Director of Cabinet and Corporate Secretariat in particular;
- work in close collaboration with the Governance and Project Officer;
- coordinate the schedule and travel of the Director General;
- and perform other related duties.
You may be required to travel up to 10 days per year and on occasion, work irregular hours.
This position is located in Ottawa.
Requirements of the position
*Important: Please submit your resume clearly demonstrating how you meet the following qualifications for Education and Experience. Please note that selection for further consideration will be based solely on the information provided in your resume and in the application form.
- Two (2) year college program or an equivalent combination of education and professional experience related to the responsibilities of the position
- Five (5) years of experience directly related to the principal responsibilities of the position
- Previous experience in a government or crown corporation environment would be an asset
- Experience working with senior management
- Knowledge of the arts and arts funding would be an asset
Skills & Competencies
- Ability to assist in the management of projects
- Ability to prepare reports and responses to sensitive or complex issues
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks and to work with multiple and strict deadlines
- Strong financial and administrative skills
- Attention to detail and high level of accuracy
- Excellent organizational, analytical, administrative, interpersonal and communications skills
- Excellent initiative, judgment and ability to provide credible advice
- Exceptional tact, discretion and ability to deal with sensitive and confidential matters
- Mastery of modern office technology, equipment and software
- This position requires the use of both official languages. The requirements in the second official language are: an advanced level in oral and in reading comprehension and an intermediate level in writing.
In accordance with the Council’s vaccination status policy and procedure, all employees of the Canada Council for the Arts are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and attest to their vaccination status unless accommodated based on a medical contraindication, religion, or another prohibited ground for discrimination as defined under the Canadian Human Rights Act. This is a condition of employment and it applies to all hiring status (indeterminate/regular, temporary, and casual). Should you reach the point in the selection process where it is necessary to verify terms and conditions of employment you will then be contacted to confirm your proof of vaccination.
How to apply
Send the completed Application Form your cover letter and resume prior to the closing date by email at email@example.com quoting the competition number(s) that you are applying for. If possible, please send all documents as one PDF file.
For more information, please contact us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview and/or a written exam will be contacted.
TTY machine (toll-free)
The Canada Council for the Arts is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the targeted groups (women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples and persons with disabilities) when you apply. Please note that while Council uses other terms such as Indigenous (for Aboriginal peoples) in this posting, Council uses the terminology prescribed by legislation for the purposes of employment equity monitoring and reporting.
We are committed to providing a workplace that is inclusive and accessible to all. Should you require accommodation during the staffing process, please do not hesitate to contact a member of our Human Resources team.
If the form won’t open
To view the form, you will need the free version of Adobe Acrobat Reader. Download Adobe Acrobat Reader
Make sure the PDF is opening in Adobe Reader and not in a browser: right‑click the document in your downloads folder and select Open with Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Send the completed form to:
Human Resources, The Canada Council for the Arts,
150 Elgin Street, P.O. Box 1047,
Ottawa, Ontario, K1P 5V8.