Call for Proposals
The Canada Council for the Arts invites proposals for the Canadian representation at the 2018 Venice Biennale in Architecture, the foremost international platform to engage critical conversations on contemporary architecture.
Doubling its previous investment and enhancing international exposure, the Canada Council will make a contribution of $500,000 towards the presenter’s exhibition.
The presenter will be the curator, producer and project manager of the exhibition. The proposed presentation should communicate excellence, innovation, and currency in contemporary Canadian architecture including buildings, landscapes and places, or in works of and (or) critical research on architecture, landscape architecture or the urban environment.
The Venice Biennale takes place primarily in the Arsenale and in the Giardini. The presenter will be responsible for delivering the proposed project, without substantial alteration, while assuming responsibility for expenses incurred by the project, beyond the envelope provided by the Canada Council. The presenter can develop a project that remains within the $500,000 envelope or propose a more elaborate presentation that requires fundraising. Projects making use of digital technologies are welcome.
About Venice Biennale in Architecture
The Venice Biennale in Architecture is the most important and prestigious exhibition in contemporary architecture. Architects, artists, designers, planners, builders, politicians, students and cultural leaders from around the world are among the more than 300,000 visitors expected to attend the 2018 Biennale with the intention of discovering the cutting edge of architecture and architectural discourse.
- 2016 Opsys, Extraction www.extraction.ca
- 2014 Lateral Office, Arctic Adaptations: Nunavut at 15 www.arcticadaptations.ca
- 2012 5468796 Architecture Inc, Migrating Landscape www.5468796.ca/#mlo
- 2010 Philip Beesley Architect Inc., Hylozoic Ground www.philipbeesleyarchitect.com
- 2008 Cambridge Galleries, 41° to 66°: Architecture in Canada – Region, Culture, Tectonics
- 2006 Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design, SweaterLodge
- 2004 Saucier & Perrotte Architectes, Found Objects www.saucierperrotte.com
- 2002 Inter Access: Electronic Media Arts Centre and Alphabet City, Next Memory City - Toronto: Venice - Michael Awad, Eve Egoyan and David Rokeby www.interaccess.org
- 2000 Canadian Centre for Architecture, Melvin Charney’s UN DICTIONNAIRE...
How to submit proposals
Interested applicants must email the Program Officer to request the further information, the guidelines and forms.
Pao Quang Yeh
Canada Council for the Arts
150 Elgin St. P.O. Box 1047
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5V8
613-566-4414, ext. 5094
Toll free: 1-800-263-5533, ext. 5094
Deadline and Allocated Amount