Theatre Production Project Grants for Established Artists
The Canada Council for the Arts is committed to equity and inclusion, and welcomes applications from diverse Aboriginal, cultural and regional communities, and from people with disabilities.
Please refer to the complete Program Guidelines [PDF, 318 KB].
The Theatre Production Project Grant Program for Established Artists provides grants to professional, non-profit theatre organizations and ad hoc groups of professional theatre artists for the development and production of theatre. “Ad hoc group” refers to a group of artists formed for the specific purpose of creating a unique work.
Grants are intended as a contribution towards the specific costs of:
- a period of development geared towards future production (projects should include at least one public presentation, such as a public reading or workshop), or
- theatre production (which may also include development).
15 September: For projets taking place after 1 January
1 March: For projects taking place after 1 July
If either date falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, the deadline moves to the next business day.
Grants awarded range from $5,000 to $12,000 for development activity, and from $5,000 to $20,000 for productions (which may also include development).
These grants cannot be used to fund activities that occurred before this program deadline.
Note that meeting the eligibility criteria does not guarantee that you will receive a grant.
Canadian professional non-profit theatre organizations and ad hoc groups of professional theatre artists are eligible.
The Canada Council for the Arts defines professional artist as someone who:
- has specialized training in the field (not necessarily in academic institutions)
- is recognized as such by peers (artists working in the same artistic tradition)
- is committed to devoting more time to artistic activity, if possible financially
- has a history of public presentation or publication.
Applicants must be Canadian citizens or have permanent resident status, as defined by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. They do not need to be living in Canada when they apply.
Co-productions or co-presentations are eligible.
1-800-263-5588 (toll-free) or 613-566-4414
Keith Barker, ext 5488
Claudia Buckley, ext 4131
Nancy Guertin, ext 5484
TTY : 1-866-585-5559