Music: Project Grants to Professional Orchestras
The Canada Council for the Arts is committed to equity and inclusion, and welcomes applications from diverse Aboriginal, cultural and regional communities, and from people with disabilities.
Please refer to the complete Program Guidelines [PDF, 265.9 KB].
This program supports the activities of Canadian professional orchestras in their community by contributing financial assistance through Project Grants or Annual and Multi-Year Grants.
Project Grants assist with selected costs associated with a particular orchestral activity or event taking place in a defined and concentrated period of time, with a particular interest for initiatives involving Canadian creation, development of young audiences and outreach/dissemination.
Annual and Multi-Year Grants provide ongoing support to the overall activities and organizational structure of orchestras on an annual or multi-year basis.
Note: The Annual and Multi-Year component of this program has its own guidelines and application form.
If this date falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, the deadline moves to the next business day. Your completed application and all required support material must be postmarked on or before the deadline date.
Grants will be awarded based on a competitive process. A peer assessment committee will recommend funding priorities and establish the amount of the Canada Council’s contribution to the proposed activities of successful applicants.
To be eligible, your organization must meet all of the following requirements. It must:
- be a professional, non-profit Canadian orchestra
- have a board of directors in place at the time of application
- have completed at least two full years of professional activities
- have a consistent core or membership of musicians and a demonstrated record of regular ongoing local concert activities (such as series of programs, subscription concerts)
- receive support from other levels of government, the public or the private sector
- engage professional artistic and administrative personnel
- demonstrate a strong commitment to Canadian creation/repertoire as part of its ongoing annual programming.
1-800-263-5588 (toll-free) or 613-566-4414, ext. 5248