Grants to Professional Canadian Contemporary Art Dealers
The Canada Council for the Arts is committed to equity and inclusion, and welcomes applications from diverse Aboriginal, cultural and regional communities, and from people with disabilities.
Please refer to the complete Program Guidelines [PDF, 226.4 KB].
This program provides financial support to professional Canadian contemporary art dealers to offset costs for special projects and initiatives that advance the careers of professional Canadian contemporary visual and fine craft artists through the national and international promotion of their work.
This program assists eligible art dealers to undertake one or several initiatives, over the course of one year, that will:
- bring public attention to Canadian artists, advancing their recognition and career trajectories
- encourage the general public, private corporations and public institutions to collect works by living Canadian visual artists.
If this date falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, the deadline moves to the next business day.
Grant amounts are to a maximum of $10,000
Note that meeting the eligibility criteria does not guarantee that you will receive a grant.
To be eligible, you must meet all of the following criteria:
- be registered as a business in Canada
- be majority-owned and operated by Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada
- have been in operation for at least three years and have established a national and/or international reputation
- represent professional contemporary artists, of which 75% are Canadian
- maintain a permanent exhibition venue that is open to the general public on a regular and ongoing basis.
The proposed project may involve various activities. It must, however, be intended to increase awareness and knowledge of a living Canadian contemporary artist (or artist-collaboration). Activities should situate the artist in a context that is desirable for her/his career advancement, including the collection of this work by private corporations, public institutions and the general public.
Activities may include, but are not limited to:
- special exhibitions, presentations or collaboration projects
- initiatives that introduce a new or emerging professional artist
- catalogues, promotional kits and other printed material for national and international distribution
- innovative online or social media initiatives
- national or international advertising strategies for identified artists
- extra promotional activities in parallel to regular confirmed participation in an art fair.
Pao Quang Yeh
Visual Arts Section
1-800-263-5588 (toll-free) or 613-566-4414, ext. 5094