$62,708 to $75,618
May 31, 2016
The Council may inventory the information received from candidates for other similar positions.
About the Canada Council for the Arts
Join our team and play a role in supporting Canadian creativity. The Canada Council is a dynamic, highly-respected federal Crown corporation with a mandate to foster and promote the study and enjoyment of, and production of works in, the arts for the benefit of all Canadians. We offer competitive salaries and benefit package. For more information about the Canada Council for the Arts, please visit our website at www.canadacouncil.ca.
About the role
Under the direct supervision of the Manager, Business Analysis and Systems Development, the Programmer Analyst performs analysis, design, development, testing and documentation as well as deployment and maintenance of all information technology equipment, software and programs.
As the Programmer Analyst, you will:
- evaluate client’s business and functional requirements;
- recommend solutions to improve systems and automation;
- create technical designs, prototypes and mock-ups for clients;
- create responsive web pages using current web design best practices;
- create software that follows Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) best practices;
- write or adapt software modules for integration and testing;
- write or modify database queries, stored procedures and other database objects;
- test and debug software modules including root-cause analysis;
- maintain current systems and software;
- assist in the development and maintenance of plans outlining steps and timetables for small development projects;
- organize workload and schedule multiple tasks based on project plan priorities, in addition to daily activities;
- assist in the evaluation of software products and measure these against client requirements; and perform other related duties.
You will be required to travel up to 10 days per year and on occasion, work irregular hours.
Basic requirements of the position
- Three (3) year college program in computer science or equivalent professional practice in informatics
- Three (3) years of experience directly related to the principal responsibilities of the position
- Three (3) years of experience in the software development and implementation of software systems
- Knowledge of programming techniques and several programming languages, including ASP.NET, VB.NET, C#.NET, jQuery, T-SQL, as well as various report writers, such as Impromptu, Crystal Reports, SQL Server Reporting Services, and SQL Server Management. Experience in Gupta SQL Windows is an asset
- Demonstrates basic understanding of database management, logical design concepts and levels of database security
- Knowledge and ability to design, define, construct, enhance, support and maintain application software on one or more platforms
- Knowledge and ability to perform unit and integration testing of software and/or hardware using a systematic approach (i.e. the orderly progression of testing in which software elements, hardware elements or both are combined and tested until the entire system has been integrated)
- Understands concepts of IT security and its application relative to computer systems architecture
- Take initiative to keep abreast of latest technology standards, frameworks, and best-practices, including emerging technology; and perform other related duties
Skills & Competencies
- Excellent application design skills, including form design, web page layout, user interface design, mobile responsive web sites, using WCAG-compliant development principles
- Excellent initiative, facilitation, judgment, adaptability, analytical thinking, problem-solving, innovative thinking and interpersonal skills
- Strong planning skills
- Excellent communication skills, able to explain complex technical concepts to non-technical users.
- Strong business and systems analysis, design, and development skills
- Excellent customer service skills and results-focused
- This position requires the use of both official languages. The requirements in the second official language are: an intermediate level in oral and reading comprehension and a basic level in writing.
This position is located in Ottawa.
How to apply
Send the complete Application Form quoting the competition number listed above and a copy of your resume to the attention of Mylène Mougeot, Human Resources, prior to the closing date by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information please contact Mylène Mougeot at 613-566-4414 or 1-800-263-5588, extension 4124 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We value diversity in our workforce and encourage candidates to self-identify as members of the following designated groups: women, visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities.
We are committed to providing a workplace that is inclusive and accessible to all. Should you require accommodation during the staffing process, please do not hesitate to contact a member of our Human Resources team.