Expanding Your Horizons
If you have mastered the art of presenting local, regional and national touring artists in your season or festival, you might consider bringing international artists to your community. First ask yourself a few tough questions:
- What is the mandate of your organization and the purpose of your existing program?
- Have you met your goals with your existing program?
- Does expansion fit your mandate and will it address your goals?
- Are you ready to expand in terms of manpower, capacity and commitment?
- Are you prepared for the expense and complexity of international presentations?
Once you’ve gotten your feet wet with a successful Canadian content season or event, you may be ready to challenge your organization and your community and undertake inviting performers from further afield. You now know the amount of time and commitment required to accomplish presenting the work you do, if you feel your group has the man power, ability and commitment to take on more – and if you are prepared to double or triple the complications you may face, this chapter will be helpful to you.