Manager, Business Analysis and Systems Development
Information Technology and Information Management Services
Closing date: 14 December, 2017
Competition: 6209 (Internal/External)
Status: Temporary full-time until December 20, 2019
Salary Scale: $78,810 to $95,077
The results of this competition may also be used to fill other similar vacancies, on a temporary or regular basis.
About the Canada Council for the Arts
Join our team and play a role in supporting Canadian creativity. The Canada Council is a dynamic, highly-respected federal Crown corporation with a mandate to foster and promote the study and enjoyment of, and production of works in, the arts for the benefit of all Canadians. We offer competitive salaries and benefit package. For more information about the Canada Council for the Arts, please visit our website at www.canadacouncil.ca.
About the role
Under the direct supervision of the Director, Information Technology and Information Management, the Manager, Business Analysis and Systems Development participates in information management systems related project planning and project execution.
As the Manager, you will:
- provide business systems process and change management analysis
- coordinate development and implementation of services
- provide business systems maintenance and support
- collaborate with stakeholders, developers and testers to facilitate user story writing and prioritize stories for development
- identify customer roles
- provide requirements and test‐cases (in the form of user stories and behaviors)
- review developed functionality and showcases functionality to stakeholders
- identify and assist in the re-engineering and improvement of existing business processes and associated technology
- coordinate and facilitate business requirements gathering sessions, gap analysis, risk assessment and business requirements validation
- translate business requirements into functional requirements
- manage compliance of software development lifecycle methodology (SDLC)
- play a lead role in the implementation of the Microsoft Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software application
- act as a role model through ethical behaviours and actions
- provide leadership to team members, facilitates career development and high levels of engagement through clear communication to influence and inspire
- determine goal setting and provides timely performance feedback
- ensure empowerment, shared responsibilities and productive collaborations
- apply technology skills and expertise in the development and support of systems, procedures and change requests
- ensure that quality assurance is achieved and that all changes conform to legislative obligations and to the Canada Council policies and procedures
- research new technology and processes and recommends changes to systems
- perform technical reviews of vendor solutions to evaluate their feasibility and fit into the Canada Council’s procedures and systems; and perform other related duties.
You may be required to travel up to ten (10) days per year and on occasion, work irregular hours. The duties of this position require the direct supervision of three (3) employees.
Basic requirements of the position
- An undergraduate degree in computer science or engineering or equivalent combination of education and professional experience related to the responsibilities of the position
- Five (5) years of experience directly related to the principal responsibilities of the position
- One (2) year of experience in supervisory role
- Previous experience in planning, organizing and monitoring projects based on approved timelines and established priorities
- Previous experience with quality assurance (QA) testing and factory acceptance testing for computer systems
- Previous experience integrating and maintaining legacy systems
- Previous experience migrating or transforming legacy systems to the cloud
- In-depth knowledge of immediate and long-term information technology and information management requirements
- Knowledge of several programming languages, including Microsoft Dynamic CRM, VB.NET, C#.NET, ASP, T-SQL and Unify SQL Windows, as well as various report writers, such as Cognos BI Reporting, Crystal Reports, SQL Server Reporting Services and Centura Report Builder and SQL Server Management
- Strong knowledge of Server Virtualization Architecture, Storage Area Networks and Data Networks
- Strong knowledge of current Windows operating systems, back-office products (Exchange, SQL server) and networking protocols (TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, AD)
- Knowledge of cloud platforms (Azure, AWS)
- Knowledge of legislation, policies, procedures, standards and best practices regarding the management of government and non-government information resources
- Knowledge of risk management, compliance and policy administration practices applicable to information management, access and protection of information
Skills & Competencies
- Excellent business and systems analysis, design and architect skills
- Strong project management skills
- Solid understanding of software development methodologies
- Customer service and results-focused
- Excellent analytical thinking, facilitation, problem-solving and interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage complex, large-scale service operations and projects
- Excellent leadership, organizational and management skills including the ability to foster a positive and productive work environment within a dynamic fast-paced setting
- This position requires the use of both official languages. The requirements in the second official language are: an advanced level in oral and reading comprehension and an intermediate level in writing.
This position is located in Ottawa.
How to apply
Send the complete Application Form quoting the competition number listed above and a copy of your resume to the attention of Mylène Mougeot, Human Resources, prior to the closing date by email at email@example.com.
For more information please contact Mylène Mougeot at 613-566-4414 or 1-800-263-5588, extension 4124 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview and/or a written exam will be contacted.
TTY machine (toll-free)
We value diversity in our workforce and encourage candidates to self-identify as members of the following designated groups: women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples and persons with disabilities.
We are committed to providing a workplace that is inclusive and accessible to all. Should you require accommodation during the staffing process, please do not hesitate to contact a member of our Human Resources team.