Project Manager, Information Technology and Information Management
Closing date : 31 March 2017
Competition : 6206 (Internal/External)
Status : Regular Full-time
Salary Scale : $77,645 to $93,672
Location : Ottawa
About the Canada Council for the Arts
Join our team and play a role in supporting Canadian creativity. The Canada Council is a dynamic, highly-respected federal Crown corporation with a mandate to foster and promote the study and enjoyment of, and production of works in, the arts for the benefit of all Canadians. We offer competitive salaries and benefit package. For more information about the Canada Council for the Arts, please visit our website at www.canadacouncil.ca.
About the role
Under the direct supervision of the Director, Information Technology and Information Management (IT/IM), the Project Manager, IT/IM, is responsible for leading, overseeing and ensuring the successful delivery and management of single or multiple complex enterprise-level transformative IT/IM projects within scope, quality, time and budget constraints.
As the Project Manager, you will:
- establish a Project Management Office (PMO) within Section;
- establish project management methodology and develop related standards, policies and procedures;
- oversee the adoption of industry-leading IT/IM-enabled transformation project and project portfolio management practices;
- coordinate and provide oversight, guidance and advice on program/project lifecycle activities and deliverables;
- establish project communication strategy and plan;
- manage communications with project stakeholders;
- negotiate with management to facilitate and implement organizational change practices in support of project objectives;
- manage cross-functional project teams in a matrix organization structure;
- manage financial and human resources for corporate projects;
- maintain a project portfolio, and provide status and progress updates to the executive management team on a regular basis; and perform other related duties.
You may be required to travel up to 10 days per year and on occasion, work irregular hours.
Basic requirement of the positions
Education and Experience
- An undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Management of Information Systems (MIS) or related field combined with five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in managing enterprise-level IT/IM projects
- College diploma in Computer Science, MIS or related field combined with seven (7) years of experience in managing enterprise-level IT/IM projects
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification or equivalent is an asset
- Strong knowledge of project management process groups and knowledge areas as defined by the Project Management Institute (PMI) Body of Knowledge
- Strong knowledge of project management methodologies, specifically Agile SCRUM and Waterfall
- Strong knowledge and understanding of working to support business needs, with the ability to establish and maintain a high level of project stakeholder trust and confidence
- Knowledge and experience with an enterprise project portfolio management tool (Clarity PPM, Microsoft EPM) is an asset
Skills & Competencies
- Ability to develop project charters and plans, specifying goals, objectives, scope, budget, scheduling, risk mitigation strategies, contingency plans, deliverables, timelines, work breakdown structures, use cases, test cases, and training needs, as necessary for all project assignments
- Ability to set the project vision and manage the delivery of a product/service fit for purpose
- Ability to manage cross-functional project team resources (internal and third parties) and to perform resource effort estimation, resource leveling and project resource cost planning and control against budgets
- Ability to manage other Project Managers and provide guidance to Managers
- Ability to lead and motivate desired behaviors and inspire others to top performance, e.g., coaching project team members and mentoring one or more individuals while fostering an environment of collaboration
- Ability to lead effectively and positively influence others and find win-win scenarios to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization
- Ability to lead meetings and to understand business goals and solutions needs
- Ability to communicate ideas or positions effectively in a persuasive and authoritative manner that builds support, agreement and commitment
- Ability to manage procurements and contracts with third party suppliers
- Ability to proactively identify risks and develop risk management strategies and plans
- Ability to manage tasks effectively by delegating and following on progress
- Flexibility and the ability to deal with conflicting timelines are also necessary
- Distinctive blend of project management, business, IT, IM, financial and communication skills
- Excellent and effective verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of executives, managers, project team members, and subject matter experts
- Strong negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Highly developed and extensive organizational, facilitation, presentation, collaboration and consensus-building skills
- Critical thinking demonstrated by the ability to structure thought process logically and to weigh pros and cons of potential solutions to problems before setting the way forward
- High level of autonomy, strategic thinking, problem-solving, judgment, tact and creativity
- Strong self-motivation balanced with a desire to achieve team goals
- This position requires the use of both official languages. The requirements in the second official language are: an advanced level in oral and reading comprehension, an intermediate level in writing.
This position is located in Ottawa.
How to apply
Send the complete Application Form quoting the competition number listed above and a copy of your resume to the attention of Mylène Mougeot, Human Resources, prior to the closing date by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. If possible, please send all documents as one PDF file.
For more information please contact Mylène Mougeot at 613-566-4414 or 1-800-263-5588, extension 4124 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview and/or a written exam will be contacted.
TTY machine (toll-free)
We value diversity in our workforce and encourage candidates to self-identify as members of the following designated groups: women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples and persons with disabilities.
We are committed to providing a workplace that is inclusive and accessible to all. Should you require accommodation during the staffing process, please do not hesitate to contact a member of our Human Resources team.
You will need Acrobat Reader to view and print the form. This form cannot be completed on your computer screen, but must be printed out and completed by hand.
Send the completed form to:
Human Resources, The Canada Council for the Arts,
150 Elgin Street, P.O. Box 1047,
Ottawa, Ontario, K1P 5V8.