Information Technology and Information Management Services
Closing date: 05 September, 2017
Competition: 2017-11 (Internal/External)
Status: Temporary full-time until August 30, 2019
Salary Scale: $65,902 to $79,469
This competition will be used to fill several positions. The results of this competition may also be used to fill other similar vacancies, on a temporary or regular basis.
About the Canada Council for the Arts
Join our team and play a role in supporting Canadian creativity. The Canada Council is a dynamic, highly-respected federal Crown corporation with a mandate to foster and promote the study and enjoyment of, and production of works in, the arts for the benefit of all Canadians. We offer competitive salaries and benefit package. For more information about the Canada Council for the Arts, please visit our website at www.canadacouncil.ca.
About the role
Under the direct supervision of the Manager, Business Analysis and Systems Development, the Programmer Analyst performs analysis, design, development, testing and documentation as well as deployment and maintenance of all information technology equipment, software and programs.
As the Programmer Analyst, you will:
- evaluate client’s business and functional requirements;
- recommend solutions to improve systems and automation;
- create technical designs, prototypes and mock-ups for clients;
- create responsive web pages using current web design best practices;
- build source code from conceptual or logical models, and from associated specification and class/object diagrams;
- build, modify and maintain Windows-based applications;
- create software that follows Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) best practices;
- write or adapt software modules for integration and testing;
- write or modify database queries, stored procedures and other database objects;
- test and debug software modules including root-cause analysis;
- maintain current systems and software;
- assist in the development and maintenance of plans outlining steps and timetables for small development projects;
- organize workload and schedule multiple tasks based on project plan priorities, in addition to daily activities;
- assist in the evaluation of software products and measure these against client requirements; and perform other related duties.
You will be required to travel up to 10 days per year and on occasion, work irregular hours.
Basic requirement of the position
- Three (3) year college program in computer science or equivalent professional practice in informatics
- Five (5) years of experience in the software development and implementation of software systems
- Three (3) years of experience of which were developing Windows or web applications using the Microsoft .NET framework
- Three (3) years of SQL experience
- Strong knowledge of the Microsoft .NET framework, particularly VB.NET, ASP.NET and C#.NET;
- Knowledge of web design and architectures, user interface design, and n-tier application architectures;
- Familiarity with web design frameworks such as jQuery, Bootstrap and WET would be an asset;
- Familiarity with mobile application design and development would be an asset;
- Knowledge of report writers, such as IBM Impromptu/Cognos, Crystal Reports, and SQL Server Reporting Services;
- Knowledge of database programming using SQL and T-SQL;
- Demonstrates understanding of normalized database structures, database management, logical design concepts and levels of database security;
- Knowledge and ability to design, define, construct, enhance, support and maintain application software on one or more platforms using end-to-end Software Development Life Cycle, SCRUM and Agile methodologies;
- Knowledge and ability to perform unit and integration testing of software and/or hardware using a systematic approach (i.e. the orderly progression of testing in which software elements, hardware elements or both are combined and tested until the entire system has been integrated);
- Understands concepts of IT security and its application relative to computer systems architecture;
- Take initiative to keep abreast of latest technology standards, frameworks, and best-practices, including emerging technology; and perform other related duties.
Skills & Competencies
- Excellent application design skills, including form design, web page layout, user interface design, mobile responsive web sites, using WCAG-compliant development principles;
- Excellent code writing skills, in both front-end and back-end application development;
- Excellent initiative, facilitation, judgment, adaptability, analytical thinking, problem-solving, innovative thinking and interpersonal skills;
- Strong planning skills;
- Excellent communication skills, able to explain complex technical concepts to non-technical users;
- Strong business and systems analysis, design, and development skills;
- Excellent customer service skills and results-focused.
- This position requires the use of both official languages. The requirements in the second official language are: an intermediate level in oral, reading comprehension and in writing.
This position is located in Ottawa.
How to apply
Send the complete Application Form quoting the competition number listed above and a copy of your resume to the attention of Mylène Mougeot, Human Resources, prior to the closing date by email at email@example.com. If possible, please send all documents as one PDF file.
For more information please contact Mylène Mougeot at 613-566-4414 or 1-800-263-5588, extension 4124 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview and/or a written exam will be contacted.
TTY machine (toll-free)
We value diversity in our workforce and encourage candidates to self-identify as members of the following designated groups: women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples and persons with disabilities.
We are committed to providing a workplace that is inclusive and accessible to all. Should you require accommodation during the staffing process, please do not hesitate to contact a member of our Human Resources team.